The Fund was founded in the Will of Mrs Friederica Frances Swinburne (1842-1916), a worshipper at the leading London Anglo-Catholic church, All Saints, Margaret Street. It is thought to have been named after Fr W. H. Cleaver (1834-1909).
The original trustees named in Mrs Swinburne’s Will included many of the leaders of the contemporary Anglo-Catholic movement, and the Fund’s early history shows that the intention was to support Anglo-Catholic ordinands. The present Trustees administer the Fund accordingly. All applicants are therefore asked to submit a brief ecclesiological statement expressing their understanding of the place of the Church of England (or the Anglican church to which they belong) within the Universal Church, and also to show evidence that they belong to the tradition that the Fund exists to support.